Saturday, January 20, 2007

Welcome to Cairo



Welcome to Cairo! The first words we heard from our Egyptian driver, Kahloul who met us at the airport yesterday evening. It was a relief to our travel-weary eyes to see him standing among the throngs of fabric-clad people, holding a small paper with "Mrs. Belinda Vandelo" written on it. We aimed for one another through the pushing, shoving crowd, once again glad that I am tall.
Amazing how he managed to get 3 suitcases, 4 people, 3 backpacks and a guitar into his small, battered but clean car. I determined to trust his driving skills as we wove, honked, and flashed our headlights through a myriad of aggressive automobilists. It was around 8 in the evening and I assume everyone was just getting out of the mosque services; why else would there be so much hustle and bustle so late in the day? I stopped counting minarets and mosques on our way to the "Mr.Magdy" (our contact person here), some 20 minutes drive further. Did I mention that I prayed in the spirit the entire trip? Not because I was afraid (I wasn't) but because I knew my mission here.
We arrived safe & sound at the guest appartment, had a very warm welcome by our brothers and sisters here, a nice meal and off to sweet sleep in a wonderful bed.
This morning I went outside to #1 see where I was and #2 take a photo, which I hope attaches itself to this blog message... if not, there'll be more later.
Blessings from the land of Egypt,
Belinda

No comments: