Monday, January 22, 2007

Into the desert....

As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."
At once the Spirit sent him out into the desert, and he was in the desert forty days... He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him. Mark 1:10-13 NIV


Away, far away from anything green, we drove 1 and 1/2 hours northwest from Cairo towards Alexandria yesterday. We arrived at the YWAM compound after dark and were warmly welcomed by staff and students here. Settled into our rooms, we then met with Jasmina, the SOW leader, who shared with us about the introduction week they'd had this past week. She remarked that the arabic-speaking Christians were extremely passionate and radical in their faith, even willing to die for Jesus. When she said that I wondered how many Christians I know would offer the same.... would I? And I know the answer: yes!
We shared a simple meal of pasta soup, pita bread and 'mystery meat' patties together with the close to 100 inhabitants of the large compound. There is a DTS of 29 students in addition to the 12 students in the School of Worship.
Amazing how cold it can get here at night when during the day it gets hot. I'm glad to have my trusty hot water bottle with me and a hot water kettle for making hot tea, etc. My room is a luxury... simply furnished but all mine!
Johnny, Nestor and I have some prayer times here and right now we discovered that I have the best internet wireless signal - so it looks like Belinda's Internet Cafe.
This morning I looked out my window and see over the 10 foot wall of the compound into the adjacent desert where I saw a bedouin and his flock of sheep and goats heading out. Otherwise, the women are not allowed off compound at all! I am hoping to go visit one of the Coptic monasteries during the week and perhaps we'll go into Cairo on the weekend.
Class started this morning and what a wonder to look into those hungry eyes and hearts, have my words translated into arabic... to speak about Abraham and hear Ibrahim in Arabic... the father of the three faiths: Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
I taught on the basis of worship in the Bible from Genesis 22, Abrahams faith tested in offering Isaac as an offering to God. The students are now transforming the classroom in to a sanctuary where tomorrow morning we'll present our heart-motivated offerings to Him.
Please continue to pray for my/our ministry here... that we'll interface and connect well with the SOW staff, for physical protection and wisdom.
More later... lunch bell ringing here at 1.30 in the afternoon.... we've been told to expect lots of beans!
Blessings, Belinda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Het gaat je goed Belinda.....Goed om steeds wat nieuws te krijgen...wat jullie zo aan het doen zijn. Blessing..Ik pray for you...:)

Anonymous said...

Het gaat je goed Belinda.....Goed om steeds wat nieuws te krijgen...wat jullie zo aan het doen zijn. Blessing..Ik pray for you...:)

Anonymous said...

Hi zussie,
Gaat het goed en geniet je weer van Call2W, ik mis het wel een beetje hoor.
Gr. aan je twee lijfwachten.

Blessing, 2 Kron 16:9 voor jullie