Monday, October 01, 2007

Harvest - Sukkot


Last week, on the way home from a visit with my dear friends, Rick and Mildrid... I stopped at a pumpkin patch.
Beautiful orange pumpkins, together with squash and decorative maize was a sight to behold!
Honey was surrounded by great big pumpkins and helped me pick out a few to take home.
This was an amazing cultural experience for my Norwegian friend, Hilde, who was with us. I think I bought 3 large pumpkins, 2 squash and a number of small decorative squash for only $10!
Pumpkins in America are symbolic for Harvest-time - a time traditionally celebrated with a holiday called "Thanksgiving", the 4th Thursday in November.
It is a vague reflection of a Biblical celebration called the "Feast of Tabernacles" or "Sukkot"... also a time of giving thanks to God.
Let's give God thanks, taking time to remember His grace and goodness in our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture of Honey.
Liefs Corrie