Monday, October 08, 2007

What's cooking?


A couple weeks ago my friend, Hilde, visited from Europe and we had some nice days together. She even helped me to paint my room!
One evening Mom was feeling good enough to help me out in the kitchen with one of her favourite recipes and Hilde took a quick photo of the event. The dinner turned out just great and it was a blessing to share the meal together with a friend.
Since then Mom's pain level has been pretty high and that is always complicated by the weather conditions. When it's humid, mom's pain level goes up a notch or two. Even on a "good" day, mom rests around a level 4 pain, with 10 being the highest. Lately it's been nearly a constant 10, even with her pain medication... and the weather has been very humid and hot for this season. Please pray that the weather will clear and that mom won't feel the pain like she does now.
When mom hurts so much, we all stick closer to home, of course. I usually only go out for 1-2 hours at the most, and then only if necessary. Otherwise, Barbarah and I take turns being home with mom, with some occasional relief from my sister-in-law, Darlene.
Mom enjoys beating me in Scrabble, though I won a few days ago! And, later this afternoon, her cousins, Karl + Diane will be stopping by for a visit and some coffee.

As for me, my days are filled up quickly with home projects... things that mom has wanted to be done for months and, in some cases, years. This past weekend we finally got rid of rusty old shed in the backyard that was collecting amazing amounts of junk. So, now I'll fill that area with good dirt and seed it - I might plant a tree there in the Spring. By European standards we have a fairly large "garden" and mom has always wanted a maple tree that has special leaves that look kind of 'silvery' on one side. Hope I can find that someplace. But, for now, I'll just seed some lawn there. It's almost time to mulch the gardens and do some other pruning, not to mention planting bulbs. In this way I do "get out of the house".
I also have some short coffee visits with friends now and then. This week I'll get together with Cindy, who led me to the Lord in 1970. She was my high school teacher and we've stayed in touch all these years, though we don't see one another very often. I'm looking forward to that visit.
I get together almost every week with another dear friend who I've known since high school - Claudia. It just bedazzles me that we've known each other for 35+ years! She and her husband and family are passionate Christians and I am so blessed by this friendship.

So, that's what's cooking these days.

3 comments:

Frank van Essen said...

Hey Belinda!
Just dicovered through an old email I came across that you are in the USA right now. Read some of your blog entires - I think you are a very brave and godly person to take this time to care for your mum, really!
Today we celebrated my 40th birthday (aug 15), Marlou's 44th (sep 4) and my dad's 80th (sep 23)!! These are all milestones and we are so thankful for Gods faithfulness through some of the hardships of the last year. We are doing great, leading worship a lot and getting a taste of missionary life ourselves. If you are interested, check our website at www.dew-worship.com
Well, dear sister, hope and pray you wil have more special times with your family and hope to see you again some time next year?
Be blessed!
Frank (& Marlou) van Essen

Anonymous said...

Hi Belinda,
Ik wil alleen even zegen, dat ik steeds meer bewondering krijg voor je hoe je de zorg voor je moeder op je neemt. Zoveel warmte en liefde, terwijl je het best zwaar hebt denk ik. Misschien zien/horen we elkaar donderdag met skype. Blessings and a very big hug,
Rebecca Scheurwater

Terry Sherman said...

I'm cheering you on from the sidelines as you love and care for Mom. This is where we find what we're made of, eh? Looking forward to meeting you on Skype on Monday evenings (your afternoon)! Love you much, Terry