Sunday, February 24, 2008

Raising the Dead in Africa


One of YWAM's frontier mission leaders in Sub-Saharan Africa recently related this personal testimony:
"The phone rang in the middle of the night. The message came fast and to the point. There is someone with a sick child here, please come and take them to the hospital. I jumped out of bed and started to dress. This is what I came here to do, I heard myself saying.
Seven kilometers away a man and a woman were waiting for me, the sick child in the hands of the father.He must have been 4 or 5 yrs old. The convulsions were visible in the faint light of the moon. I was told it was malaria and that it had started suddenly that evening. I could not believe what I was seeing - a contorted face and convulsions on the left side of the little boy's body.
I rushed them to the hospital. The nurse looked after them well because the "respected" missionary was hovering and praying for the boy. Not a word was said. Then the convulsions stopped and the boy lay still. No one spoke in the room. I was a mess emotionally but seeing the mother looking very brave, I tried my best [to do the same]. It was hard to hang around so I left.
In the morning I told [my wife] what I had seen - the worst case of malaria, possibly cerebral. I told [her] that I thought the little boy would die, if he was not dead already.
Two days later I heard that the father of the boy, a pagan who had never set foot in the church his entire life went to church last Sunday.This is what he said: "While I was holding my son, waiting for the missionary to come and take him to the hospital, my son's feet went cold, I knew he was dying. He stopped breathing, then by the time the missionary arrived, he started breathing again. I heard from someone a long time ago that the God of the Bible raised someone from the dead. I believe this is true now because at the hospital, my son stopped breathing again. The missionary prayed for him. Later he woke up feeling better. Today he is well. I want to worship this God who raises the dead."
The man and his wife have started attending church. I do not even know their names, but isn't God wonderful!

No comments: