Saturday, May 05, 2007

Flying across the globe!


We made it! Honey and me, in the plane, all the way across the world to the USA!
We are so happy to be here... especially Honey because he did not like being stuck in the small bag under the seat inside the plane. He gave me a new respect for the strength and tenacity of terriers. For whatever reason he basically got afraid once we got into the plane... we hadn't even taken off yet and he wanted OUT! I guess I made the mistake of letting his head out just to comfort him and see him for myself. He was wild-eyed and panting - not at all the same happy-go-lucky Honey that was trotting around the airport with me just minutes before.
I gave him some calming drops from the vet - didn't work. Gave him some more - still didn't work. Tried a different calming solution - nope. So then, I pushed his head back in (major effort here!) and zipped it. After 3-5 minutes (which seemed like an hour!) he resigned himself to his fate momentarily. A few hopeful minutes of quiet with the muffled sound of his panting inside the bag before he exploded with one last valiant effort - a brief burst of battle and bark. All was quiet as we headed west towards Minnesota.
I resisted the urge to peek in on him, kept my foot next to the bag so he could see/smell/feel me near and hoped for sleep for the both of us. We dozed for 8 long hours and emerged from the plane frazzled but extremely grateful to have survived fairly unscathed. Amazingly, several passengers commented on how well-behaved he was - they hadn't heard or noticed anything of the battle in row 44 (the last row in the plane... all 3 seats were ours!).
After a few days here now the jetlag has passed and we're adjusting to life in south Minneapolis. That life includes caring for my mom and training a 14week old puppy! My sis, Barbarah, left for vacation yesterday and so it's a big adjustment from my solo lifestyle back in my own home in Holland to sharing a 3 bedroom house with 3 women and 3 dogs (Barbarah has an elderly bichon named Benjamin).
Well, I've always said I like change!
Blessings, Belinda (and Honey, who's back to his calm self)

No comments: