Friday, October 05, 2012

A Jesus People!

In the early 70's this image (above) was on the front page of a newspaper distributed by the grassroots movement of "Jesus People".  The "Hollywood Free Paper" was, as far as I know, passed on person-to-person from the west coast to the east coast of the United States of America during the Jesus People revival.  I would pick up a stack of them at the "Logos" Christian coffeehouse in my home city of Minneapolis and then take them to my high school and pass them out to my classmates.

I was a Jesus People!

I gave my heart to Christ in October 1970 after my high school teacher (!) shared the Gospel clearly with me at a Navigators Bible Study.  I was 15 but my heart had been longing for God ever since I'd seen a Billy Graham movie when I was 12 years old.

Together with a few other Christians in my high school (Roosevelt High School, Minneapolis, MN) we started a morning prayer meeting to pray for our classmates to come to Christ.  We began discovering other Christians and leading others to faith in Christ so we started a Bible Study group.  Our group (did we ever have a name?) read and studied the Word, sang wonderful "hit" songs like "Pass it On", "Come to the Water" and "Seek Ye First".  A couple times we had retreat weekends with lots of prayer, singing and campfires.  We even organized a Christian concert in our school auditorium one day after school.  All of this without any adults leading or guiding the way... just young hearts on fire with passion for God.

As far as I know, many of my friends still believe there is only "One Way", as the picture above symbolizes with the single forefinger pointed upwards to heaven.  We've lost touch with one another but I'm forever grateful for that amazing sense of Christian community and "church" we had together in my teen years. 

And I'm still a Jesus People!

No comments: