Thursday, December 10, 2009

in Memoriam

We are speechless... my cousin's wife died this past Monday.

Karl and Diane were regular visitors in our home, though they lived a couple hours away. Karl and I chat now and then on "skype" and I always make a point to go visit them when I'm in Minnesota.

Karl (actually my 2nd cousin) just had a triple bypass on his heart and was recuperating at home. Diane, together with their daughter Teresa, was caring for him.
Last weekend Diane felt like she was getting a stomach flu and decided to take some extra rest. Monday afternoon, while taking a nap, she apparently suffered a heart attack and died in her sleep. She was 66 years old and they'd been married for 45 years.

Diane loved to read and was an avid fisherwoman. We went fishing only once together but I have eaten the fruits of their labors on several occasions. She didn't say much but she was a lovely lady with a kind soul.

Tomorrow morning my brother, sister and I will drive down to Rochester, Minnesota for the funeral. Funerals are for those left behind and we want to be close to our family there. No-one can take the place of family.

No comments: