Thursday, August 23, 2007

My home church in the USA



I know my friends in Holland are curious about my home church here in the USA. So, last Sunday I took some pictures at church and I'm posting a few of them here.
The name of my church is "Sojourn Campus Church" and it's located on the campus of the University of Minnesota, about 4 miles from where I live. When I was a student at the Univ. of Minn. (1973-1978) I attended a small prayer meeting of young adults who were praying for God's presence at the campus. We wanted revival, salvation, a move of God among our fellow students! In the years following, we started to see that happen and our small prayer group grew to a couple hundred hungry young hearts who were radical for Jesus. It was soon thereafter that we became a church.
The name comes from, among other places in the Bible, 1 Peter 1:17 ( Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as sojourners here in reverent fear of the Lord) and Heb 11:13 (All these died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them from afar off and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and sojourners on the earth. For they who say such things shew clearly that they seek their country. And if they had called to mind that from whence they went out, they had had opportunity to have returned; but now they seek a better, that is, a heavenly one; wherefore God is not ashamed of them, to be called their God; for he has prepared for them a city.)
It's appropriate because our primary outreach is among university students who are is a season of sojourn away from their homes and countries while studying. It also keeps the focus of our lives here on earth as temporary and in preparation for heaven.

I've added some photos of our meeting last Sunday and our pastor, Craig Krueger.

It's a blessing to be at home with this wonderful church family!
More later, Belinda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hai Belinda,

Leuk dat je fotos zet van jouw kerk,andere keer wat meer fotos?
Heeft jullie kerk een praiseteam of speelt er alleen een persoon de gitaar?Ben benieuwd.Liefs Corrie.